The studies about Denver keep coming in. The percentage of "unchurched" residents is in the 90s, says one. Denver is one of the top 15 "post-Christian cities" says another. The response of the greater Christian community to these frightening statistics is predictable: "We need to plant more churches!" And so they come. They come from all over to plant churches. Some make it; many do not.
For more than a decade Urban Skye has been addressing the "frightening statistics" in a different way. While the church-planting instinct will continue (and thank God it does), we seek to expand the Church's vision of how to grow the Kingdom of God in a city like Denver. Our response is to plant pastors, not just churches!
The reality is, most of our "spiritual, but not religious" friends and neighbors will not look to the church for guidance, at least not initially. That does not mean they lack all faith; they just need trusted guides for their journey. It is a new generation of these trusted guides that Urban Skye was created to serve.
We are "faith entrepreneurs": non-traditional pastors, missionaries, disciplers, advocates and counselors. Urban Skye provides a home from which we can explore our creative calling as an extension of the Church for the sake of the Kingdom.
If you would like to financially support Urban Skye or one of our faith entrepreneurs, you can DONATE HERE.
With over 20 years of relational ministry inside and outside of the local church context, Cari uses her gifts and experience to make the Kingdom of God tangible through relationship as she is a pastor to those without a pastor.
It is in partnership with Urban Skye that Cari seeks to share the story of Jesus with others and help individuals and groups grow in relationship with Him for their formation and the transformation of the places where they live, work and play.
Her mission is accomplished by...
- Praying for those who do not know Jesus and those who lead in some capacity.
- Being available relationally.
- Creating experiences for individuals to connect with others and the story of God.
- Creating opportunities for individuals to listen to and learn about life in Jesus.
- Encouraging individuals in their giftedness, vocation and call to live in Jesus for the transformation of the places where they live, work, and play
- Weaving together relationships with others around the city, country and world to encourage, share friends, build bridges, share resources, expand learning experiences, and create opportunity and partnerships for Kingdom good.
- Encouraging connectedness with the Body of Christ by belonging to a family of faith